The former St. Edwards Convent, now home to the Bar Harbor Historical
Society, was built in 1916 by Colonel and Mrs. Louise Drexel Morrell
and was given to The Holy Redeemer Church.
Col. Morrell died before the dedication in 1918, but his and
Louise's likenesses are reproduced in stained glass windows in
the chapel on the second floor dedicated to him.
Louise Morrell was a sister to St. Katherine Drexel (photo above) who was canonized in Rome on October 1st, 2000.
When St. Katherine Drexel would visit her sister at her home
"Thirlstane", she would stay at St. Edward's Convent. St. Katherine
Drexel, a wealthy Philadelphia socialite, chose to take her vows
as a religous and later founded the Sisters of The Blessed Sacrament.
St. Katherine used her inheritance to start schools and a university
in the west to educate Native and Black Americans.
Come visit St. Katherine's home away from home.